LaLaurie House & The French Quarter's Photo's
The Haunted House, New Orlean, Louisiana

LaLaurie House, aka The Haunted House
New Orlean Louisiana

"History of Delphine Lalaurie"

Article by Nola Live

Mme. Marie Delphine Lalaurie and her third husband, a doctor, Leonard Louis Lalaurie, purchased the grand home at 1140 Royal Street in the early 1830s. Upon moving in, she began to outfit the home with the finest of appointments -- costly furniture, silver and gold plates and paintings by noted artists. She would entertain and dispense hospitality from the downstairs drawing room.

She was born Marie Delphine, daughter of Louis Barthelemy Chevalier de Maccarthy. She was first married on June 11, 1800 to Don Ramon de Lopez y Angulo. When he died on March 26, 1804 in Havana, Cuba, she married Jean Blanque in 1808, who died in 1816. From there she married Dr. Lalaurie on June 12, 1825.

The circumstances of the deaths of her first two husbands are unknown and the whereabouts of Dr. Lalaurie at the time of the fire and subsequent to his wife's flight from town remains a mystery.

Mme. Lalaurie was well-known for her spectacular parties and galas which she gave frequently at her home. She was one of the most well-known women in New Orleans society of the time. Renowned Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau lived in New Orleans at the same time, just a few blocks from the Lalaurie House. Although the nature of their relationship is unknown, undoubtedly these two women met and knew each other.

It was said that Mme. Lalaurie's manners were sweet, gracious and captivating. She was born in the society's upper circles. She was accustomed to and acculturated to the good life. Yet there were persistent rumors that she treated her servants with disdain and in a cruel, abusive manner.

And still, those who visited her said that she was kind to her servants. If one of them tremble in her presence or startled at the sound of her voice, she would soothe and endeavor to reassure her. Nevertheless, the stories of barbarity increased. The smothered indignation on Royal Street grew.

One day the street was filled with the wild rumor that Mme. Lalaurie was seen by the neighbors cowhiding a little girl in the courtyard. The terrified young thing fled across the yard, into the house and up the winding stairway from gallery to gallery followed by her infuriated mistress. She rushed out onto the belvedere and darted up to roof, with Mme Lalaurie hot on her heels.

In another instant the child reached the edge of the roof -- falling with a dull thud to the courtyard below. She was lifted up and borne into the house a silent, crushed, lifeless mass of humanity. In the old yard there was a shallow well that is now a mere pit and neighbors assert that the night the young girl fell to her death, she was buried by torchlight in the well.

The legend goes that on April 11, 1834, a slave goaded by the cruelties heaped upon her, set fire to Mme. Lalaurie's kitchen. Some say the old woman had a dream the night before that she was fleeing the house in flames.

As the flames grew larger and hotter, word of the fire spread through the streets and soon the house was thronged with people over to assist Mme. Lalaurie in saving her valuables. There were among the crowd citizens of high standing, many of whom bore eyewitness to the scenes that followed. The fire was gaining rapidly, the kitchen was in flames and the upper stories were filled with smoke. Mme. Lalaurie seemed only interested in retrieving her plates, jewels and robes before they were burnt to a crisp.

The questions about the whereabouts of the servants began to filter through the crowd of assistants. "Where are all Mme. Lalaurie's servants that they do not help in the efforts to save?" Mme. Lalaurie met the questions with evasive answers. "Nevermind the servants, save my valuables. This way gentlemen, this way."

Someone began whispering that the servants were chained and locked up behind barred doors in the slave quarter and were sure to perish in the flames. The whisper became a loud voice -- vengeful and threatening. "The servants! The servants?" rose from a hundred different voices. "There are human beings locked in those rooms who will be roasted alive in the flames."

"The keys! The keys!" said a Creole gentleman; two or three men rushed forward clamoring for the keys, but they could not be found. "Who will follow me through the smoke and flames?" cried a brave Creole. A dozen or more men volunteered. The iron bars between the wing and attic were broken away, the doors were burst open and two old women with heavy iron collars upon their necks and irons upon their feet were brought out. By this time the fire was subdued.

The crowd continued to search the house. The garret was explored and more victims were brought out - gaunt and wild-eyed, loaded down with chains and crippled from the attitudes in which they had been chained to the floor.

The local press of the time said the story was like "covering one of those atrocities the details of which seem to be too incredible for human belief." They hesitated to report the atrocities at the house because of their graphic nature, but found it necessary to hold Mme. Lalaurie accountable and up for public ridicule, calling her a wretch.

A silence fell upon the neighborhood -- an ominous silence that proceeds the outburst of the smoldering wrath of an outraged public. In the morning an idle crowd began to form in front of the Lalaurie mansion. The numbers increased towards midday and by evening the throng was so dense that standing room was almost impossible upon the pavement of the street in front.

They hissed and hooted and some cried out for the owner's scalp. Mme. Lalaurie did not mistake the meaning and conceived and executed a plan to flee for her life. At the time of her daily ride in her carriage it drove up before the door and Mme. Lalaurie, dressed in her usual elegant style, stepped out on the sidewalk and entered the vehicle.

In a split-second the horses took off at full speed away from her house -- the last time she would be there. Mme. Lalaurie was taking her last drive in the fashionable quarter and it was a drive for her very life. It took but an instant for the crowd to recover from her quick thinking and in another moment they were at her back, yelling, hooting and screaming: "Stop that carriage!" "She is running away!" "Drag her out." "Shoot her." "Shoot the horses!"

But the mob's efforts were in vain. The coachman drove furiously at break neck speed. The horses had borne their mistress before and would not fail her now. Fashionable New Orleans stopped its carriages and watched in blank amazement the flying vehicle and the uproarious, uncontrollable mob. No human speed could keep up with those horses; the crowd breathless and panting, was left in the distance.

The carriage reached Bayou St. John and a schooner that was moored near the bank. She paid the captain a handful of gold and the vessel set sail for Mandeville. Mme. Lalaurie, it is said, took refuge for 10 days near the Claiborne Cottages in Covington. Some say she then made her way to Mobile or New York and then to Paris. However, there have been persistent stories that she never left the Northshore. Alas, what really happened remains a mystery as here, the trail goes cold ...

History of the Lalaurie House

1831 - Madame Delphine Lalaurie and husband Dr. Louis Lalaurie buy the house at 1140 Royal St. from Edmond Soniat du Fossat. Delphine Lalaurie rises to a position of social prominence.

1833- Rumors grow about Madame Lalaurie's cruelty to her slaves. She is seen cowhiding the child of a slave when the young girl breaks away and runs onto the balcony. Madame Lalaurie chases the child - who falls and is killed instantly. Madame Lalaurie has her secretly buried at night in an old well in the rear courtyard of the house.

1833 -- After the death of the young slave girl, Madame Lalaurie was fined and all of her slaves were taken from her and sold at auction. She convinced relatives to buy the slaves at auction and return them to her.

April 1834 - A fire breaks out at the house. Rescuers discover tortured, tormented slaves locked and chained in rooms in the attic. More than a dozen slaves are found - some chained to a wall and in a horrible state. Some were strapped to crudely fashioned operating tables while others were confined in cages made for dogs. Human body parts were scattered around the attic. Some firefighters are said to have fainted at the sight.

The entire neighborhood gathers and storms the house. Madame Lalaurie escapes by carriage just ahead of the mob and takes a schooner from St. John's Bayou to St. Tammany Parish. She is said to have gone to Paris but her whereabouts remain unknown. Rumors persist that she lived on the Northshore until her death.

1837 - 1865 -The house is rebuilt and strange stories begin about ghostly sightings, unusual noises, and flickering lights in the upstairs windows. The next owner only lives in it for 3 months. The house is rented out; a furniture store occupies the basement for a short time. The house is a barbershop for a few months. No tenant or business stays too long. It is rumored that there is a curse on the location and that nothing will last long there.

1842 - Delphine Lalaurie dies and her body is said to have been buried in New Orleans at an undisclosed location.

1860 to 1865 the Civil War rages through the country.

1865 - During Reconstruction, house becomes a girl's public high school, open to both white and black children.

1878 - New Orleans school system is segregated. School becomes high school for black girls only. Lasts for one year.

1882 - House becomes conservatory of music and dancing school. Dismal failure when rumor spreads about owner of school and no one attends planned soiree and concert. Owner closes school next day. That night, it is rumored that the spirits of the Lalaurie house held a wild carnival to celebrate their triumph.

1889 - An apartment in the house occupied by Joseph Edouard Vigne for a little more than 3 years. He was thought to be a pauper.

1892 - Vigne found dead upstairs - after black crepe seen on the doors. An inspection of his apartment reveals over $10,000 in cash and family heirlooms stashed in various places around the dwelling. Contents of house auctioned off.

1920 - House is tenement by this time - many reports of ghosts. "There were no other families living here and one night, on the third floor, I saw a man walking carrying his head on his arm," reports one resident.

1923 - House sold to William Warrington who established the Warrington House, a refuge for young delinquents.

1932 - House sold to The Grand Consistory of Louisiana (a consistory is the organization that confers the degrees of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry). The Consistory sold the house in 1942.

The house would become a bar and then a furniture store. The saloon, taking advantage of the building's ghastly history was called "Haunted Saloon". The owner knew many of the building's ghost stories and kept a record of strange things experienced by his patrons. The furniture store did not do as well at that location. The owner first suspected vandals when all of his merchandise was ruined several times, covered with a foul liquid filth. The owner waited one night with a shotgun, hoping to catch the vandals in the act. When dawn came, the furniture was once again ruined. He closed the place down shortly thereafter.

1941 - A grave marker plate for the tomb of Delphine Lalaurie is found in St. Louis Cemetery #1, Alley 4. But the plate is not attached to any specific tomb so the exact location of her crypt remains a mystery.

1969 to the present -- The house was divided into approximately 20 apartments before it is purchased by its current owner, a retired New Orleans physician. He has restored the home to its original state with a living area in the front portion and five apartments to the rear of the building. He has had no paranormal experiences since moving into the house.

2006, LaLaurie House. Seems there's an apparition on the balcony? Photo taken by Mark Moore.

Almost the same angle as Mark's photo above....notice the apparition is gone.

On the far right of this photo in the curve of the balcony, it looks like someone is standing there, apparition? sure looks it to me.

LaLaurie House looking down Gov. Nicholls side.

LaLaurie House, Gov. Nicholls side.

New Orleans French Quarters. Manifestation in top left window. Very strange how I came across this photo.
I was doing research on hotels in the FQ's on Google Earth. When I came across this one building that
looked a little eerie to me, I started checking out the building image on Google Earth.
On the 3rd floor of this building I see what appears to be a manifestation in the window, amazing!

Royal Street. This photo is not very clear but, it sure looks like an apparition of a maid on the corner of the street.